Rss feed not validating

Surprisingly, it revealed that it was coming from the “index.php” file in the root of my domain which had the following in it’s header: Obviously something altered the “index.php” file (most likely a dodgy plugin).

I have an error message when I click on my site's rss feed url (both from feedburner and the original atom feed): "This page contains the following errors: error on line 2 at column 6: XML declaration allowed only at the start of the document Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error." I Have check with The rss feed validator and this is what I got:

The only time you need to investigate deeply is when the feed is reported by Feed Validator as no longer valid.

Note: Feed has not been updated in some time, and often will give confusing warnings.

I first opened the HTML source of my home page and I noticed that there was a block of junk after the This looks very suspicious but couldn’t figure out how it was getting appended there. So I started disabling the plugins to see if any of the plugins were adding this weird block of code.

When this didn’t help I got a little frustrated and decided to do a UNIX Grep to see where that string of text was coming from.

Internet Explorer is well known for its issues so I wasn’t that alarmed but my hearth jumped as soon as I double checked the RSS feed on Chrome and found that it was complaining too.

In this article I am going to explain what the error was and what I did to resolve it so you don’t panic if it ever happens to you.

122

Leave a Reply